So, you have a small suite or small room inside a salon or barbershop that you are determined to make work. No problem!
Here are some small salon design ideas that can help make your space feel and appear larger.
- Plan out your space. Grab a blank sheet of paper and draw out your furniture to space plan. Will you be able to fit two waiting chairs or one? Should you include a divider so that the back bar offers more privacy? Don’t forget that the ceiling; it’s part of your canvas as well. 😉 Maybe now’s the time to take advantage of feng shui.
- Avoid dark colors and dim lighting. Unless that’s the vibe! Just know that colors have effects on behavior–both yours and your clients. Warm colors like red, yellow and orange evoke higher arousal emotions, such as love, passion, happiness, and anger. Cool colors, like blue, green and purple are linked to calmness, sadness and indifference. Colors can trigger these arousal states and emotions, so choose carefully!
- Always consider functionality. How will your clients flow through the space from entry to shampoo bowl to stylist chair to check out? Walk that route in your suite or room to see what makes the most sense for you.
- Keep the biggest decor pieces cohesive. If your vibe is organic, then choose color palettes for your storage unit, chair, and wash bowl that mimic that feel. Then add in pops of texture! This method will help to keep the main visuals consistent.
- Introduce a statement piece. This can be a mirror, a nice piece of stand-alone art, a Takara Belmont chair, or even one accent wall with customized wallpaper.
- High-hanging artwork. Speaking of artwork, be sure to hang pieces so that they are not on the floor or in the way of cleaning. You may consider one item for two jobs, i.e., a hanging whiteboard–it is both functional and can be used as an artful communication piece.
- Natural light. The more natural light, the better!
- Minimalist decor. Especially in a small space, you want to feel like it’s an intimate setting but not a cluttered setting. Make sure your ideal furniture fits appropriately in the space. Take a look at these Pinterest boards for small salon decor for some design inspo!
Hope that helps! Please be sure to share pics of your before and after spaces below. <3