Courtney Caldwell is the co-founder and COO of ShearShare, a “Hairbnb” startup that helps salon owners maximize their earnings potential by renting out their spaces to beauty industry professionals.
About This Episode
Courtney Caldwell is the COO and co-founder of ShearShare, a “Hairbnb” startup that helps salon owners rent out their spaces to beauty industry professionals. Courtney talks about how she and her husband, who owns a successful salon, came up with the idea for the business after he started renting out empty space in a salon to make extra money. She talks about how she used the platform to build a network of salon owners. She now works in over 10 countries.
In our conversation with Courtney, we talk about:
- Space as a service, and how ShearShare works
- Why beauty industry professionals are increasingly becoming solopreneurs
- Other industries where ShearShare model applies
- How the idea for ShearShare was born
- Bias against married co-founders in the VC community
- Bootstrapping Shearshare
- Going through 500 Startups batch 19, and getting the first check from an investor
- Racial and gender inequities in venture capital
- In’s and out’s of the salon and barbershop business
- Next steps for ShearShare
- Future of the beauty industry
- Interesting companies to watch in the space
- What is ShearShare looking at when hiring new employees
Follow Courtney ? https://www.linkedin.com/in/cdcaldwell/
ShearShare ? https://www.shearshare.com/
Follow Greg ? https://www.linkedin.com/in/miaskiewicz/
Subscribe to our YouTube channel ? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPH9V1NmTSFa0pYotiPVKQ
To listen to the full podcast, click here.
Download our app to join ShearShare as a Host or Pro. Check our blog for resources, updates, and news relevant to the beauty and barbering industry. And be sure to follow ShearShare on all social media platforms to join our #ShearShareCommunity!